Your cart is empty.

SA lockdown financial relief

Fact sheet for workers

Thousands of workers have had to stop working due to the South Australian lockdown. If you have lost income, there are a few different types of financial relief available for workers. We have compiled the different payments available in one place.  

Updated on 26 July 2021 

Disclaimer: Please note that this is general information and should not be taken as legal or financial advice. We will do our best to keep this up to date, but if you believe there is something missing from this list, please contact  

Paid Leave options 

Before looking for financial relief, you should check to see whether you have any Paid Leave options available that apply to this situation. Look at your employment contract and/or your Award or Enterprise Agreement to see what you may be entitled to. Leave entitlements vary between employers and industries. If you are a full time or part time worker, you may consider taking Annual Leave. Some employers may have special paid COVID-19 leave. Depending on the type of work you do, you could also ask to work from home for the period of the lockdown.

If you aren’t sure what your options are, get in touch with your union or the Working Women’s Centre for advice.

Government COVID-19 payments 

COVID-19 Disaster Payment 

This is a payment for workers impacted by the lockdown. If you live in or have visited a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot, which includes the Adelaide Metropolitan area, you may be eligible for this payment. The South Australian government has also extended this payment to workers in regional SA.  

  • The payment is for workers who have lost income and do not have pandemic related paid leave entitlements (this includes pandemic payments provided by the state, and the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment). 
  • To receive this payment, you must be 17 or older and be either an Australian resident or have a visa which enables you to legally work in Australia. 
  • The payment amount is either $325 per week or $600 per week, depending on how many hours of work you lost per week. 
  • You can make an application starting from the 28th of July.  
Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment 

You may be eligible to receive this payment if you are unable to work due to:

  • having to isolate or quarantine because of either having COVID-19 or being a close contact of someone who does, or 
  • having to care for someone who has COVID-19 

To receive this payment you must be 17 or older, and an Australian resident or a temporary visa holder who is legally able to work in Australia. 

The payment amount is $1500 for every 14-day period of meeting the above eligibility criteria. Applications can be made over the phone.

SA COVID-19 cluster isolation payment

This payment is for workers who have visited a declared exposure site and are required to self-isolate, and don’t have access to paid leave or income support. It is a once-off payment of $300, and you can find further information about eligibility and apply via an online form. Australian residents and temporary visa holders, including international students, can access this payment.

Crisis Payment for National Health Emergency (COVID-19) 

This is a one-off payment that can be received if you have to quarantine or self-isolate, or are caring for someone who has to do so, but it cannot be claimed if you are simply in lockdown. 

You may be eligible for this payment if you are in severe financial hardship and are eligible to receive an income support payment or ABSTUDY Living Allowance. Further information here

SA COVID-19 Business Support Grant  

This $1000 grant is available for people working as sole traders who have been impacted by the lockdown. Only businesses with an annual turnover of $75,000 or more are eligible. See further eligibility requirements

Other government payments 

There are government income support payments (Centrelink payments) that might apply to your situation.  

Payments include:  

  • JobSeeker – if you are unemployed and looking for work, or sick/injured and not able to perform your work/study for a short period of time 
  • Youth Allowance – if you are 24 years old or younger and a full-time student or Apprentice, or 21 years old or younger and looking for work or unable to work for a short period of time 
  • Parenting Payment – if you are the principal carer of a child, depending on the circumstances 

Payment amounts will depend on personal circumstances. Please go to Services Australia to find the different payments available, and full eligibility criteria. The Uniting Communities Law Centre can provide advice about eligibility for different Centrelink payments.  

Non-government assistance 

Emergency Financial Assistance

There are a number of organisations which may be able to assist with emergency financial assistance. You can find a list on the South Australian government website.

Flinders University FUSA Grants  

If you are a student at Flinders University in your second or later year of study and you are experiencing financial hardship, you might be eligible for a grant of $500. Grant applications will be open from the 26th of July 2021 to the 13th of August 2021.  

Uni SA USASA Financial Counselling 

If you are a student at University of South Australia, you can contact USASA to access free financial counselling services and get personalised financial advice. If you require urgent assistance, USASA may be able to assist you with accessing emergency food/financial support through the service. 

The Scarlet Alliance Emergency Relief Fund  

If you are a sex worker who has been impacted by the lockdown, you may be able to access the Scarlett Alliance Emergency Relief Fund. Applications will be open to sex workers in South Australia on the 27th of July and applications are available in English, Chinese, Thai and Korean.  

Covid-19 Emergency Assistance Initiative

This emergency quick response grant through the Performers Support Fund of South Australia is offering food and fuel vouchers of up to $200 to actors and entertainment professionals who are experiencing financial hardship during Covid-19 in SA. You can fill in the application form online.

Red Cross Emergency relief support for people on temporary visas (Temporarily closed) 

Due to a high number of applications, Red Cross is not accepting any new applications currently. Please keep an eye on their website for potential updates.  

Mutual Aid efforts  

In a crisis, often communities spring to action to support each other. The Facebook group ‘Love your neighbour South Australia’ is a place where you can put in a request for assistance, such as in-kind support of food or supplies, from members of the community.  

Other supports and services

If you need to make a quick escape...

Click this ESC button if you need to hide your window. It will close this website and take you to the weather.