Free program for young women looking for work in the Adelaide Hills
This program is designed for young women aged 17-30, are based in the Adelaide Hills and are looking for work. Whether that be seeking work due to being unemployed, underemployment – wanting to work more hours or seeking out a more meaningful career.
Starting 10th February 2021, there will be workshops running weekly.
At the Mount Barker Community Centre, 3 Dumas Street, Mount Barker.
These workshops will be run by Maddie Sarre, The Working Women’s Centre’s Youth Project Officer & will feature guest presenters.
The workshops will be on a range of topics including:
- Strategies & tools to use while job hunting.
- Resume development & interviewing skills.
- What are our rights in the workplace? How do we know if we are being paid correctly? How can we deal with sexism in the workplace? What are our rights if we have kids or want to have kids?
- What employment opportunities are there in the district? Showcasing job and education opportunities.
- How can we go about starting a trade or another career that is traditionally male-dominated? Presentation by female tradies.
- How can we navigate the welfare system as young job seekers?
- Self-care – how can we look after ourselves and deal with the stress of looking for work? How to build confidence & self esteem.
- What changes would we like to see in the world of work? Having our voices heard by political decision-makers.
The program will begin with an art workshop where participants will learn new skills and make a unique creation that they can take home with them. At the end of the program, there will be an opportunity to help plan and deliver a community program with support from the Mount Barker Community Centre.
What’s in it for you?
Through training, mentoring and learning-by-doing, you will gain skills and experiences that will help you navigate the challenges of job seeking and work towards getting a job you love.
You will gain:
- Hands on mentoring and support from the Program Coordinators
- Opportunities to connect with other young women and talk about shared experiences
- A space to talk about the challenges and barriers to looking for a job
- Opportunities to develop practical knowledge and skills to help you find work
- Job references
- Tea, coffee & pizza each week!
Register your interest in this program using the form below:
Consultation & Catch up for female International Students:
December 17th 2020, Thursday at 2:30 pm – 4pm
Are you an international student? Interested in helping make sure that young women are adequately factored into the COVID-19 recovery? This session will be divided into a short consultation and Q&A session, along with general check-ins to see how everyone is coping with this tough year.
There will be pizza!
This event is targeted at women under the age of 30 who are international students. We encourage cis and trans women to attend, as well as well as non-binary people who are comfortable being part of a discussion that will focus on the experiences of young women.